Director Matt Shakman can’t say too much just yet about his Fantastic Four reboot, but his latest update on the project may be exciting for big Marvel fans.
Speaking with Collider in a new interview, Shakman shared some new details on the production of the Fantastic Four reboot, which will bring the titular foursome into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. So as long as the SAG-AFTRA strike comes to an end fairly soon, the plan is to get started with production by next spring. Without revealing any plot details, he also offered some high praise to the screenplay’s new take on the popular characters, which he teased to be different from any Marvel film from the past.
“It’s such an awesome world to be in. The script is awesome, the characters are brilliant. I’m super excited. I’m obviously very happy now that the writers’ strike has resolved in such a good way, and we’re able to reunite with Josh Friedman, our amazing screenwriter,” Shakman explained. “Yes, we are definitely gonna go in front of cameras next year. Probably the spring. [In] London. Pinewood.”
Shakman also shared how work has been consistent on the film, despite the screenwriting and casting processes getting put on pause because of the strikes. He revealed how the effects and production design team had been building out the movie’s world in an “incredibly exciting” way. The director also spoke about the goal of making sure that “things are exciting but also grounded in a scientific thing, which is also part of the Fantastic Four that I love.”
“There’s some stuff I’m super excited about,” Shakman stressed. “It’s different in so many ways. I wish I could be specific. I wish I could say more. But we are doing things very differently from a story standpoint, from an approach to the filmmaking standpoint, that really fits the material. I wish I could say more. I would love to, but I can’t. But I think it’s going to be unlike anything you’ve seen before, and certainly unlike anything at Marvel that you’ve seen before.”
There have been many rumors about potential cast members for the Fantastic Four reboot. Shakman doesn’t touch on any specific names and mentions how the SAG-AFTRA strike is preventing any actors from finalizing their deals for the time being. That means that an official announcement is going to have to wait, and Shakman is very eager for that to come very soon, teasing that the internet will likely love the planned names they have in mind.
“Like I said, we’re in the middle of a SAG strike, and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they get a great deal really soon and we can go back,” Shakman said. “Then, once that’s resolved, there’ll be a plan at that point, but I can’t say too much. There will be an announcement at some point! I know that the internet is very excited to find out, and I’m excited to share it. I just can’t do it yet.”
As mentioned, with the WGA strike concluded, Shakman will be able to reconnect with screenwriter Josh Friedman to get back to work right away on the script. It would appear that Shakman is confident that the film will be on track to make its currently-scheduled release date of May 2, 2025.
Director Matt Shakman is teasing that the Fantastic Four reboot is “unlike anything at Marvel that you’ve seen before.” Read More